Monday, May 11, 2009

"Where Poems Come From."

I found the film Where Poems Come From to be very thought provoking. It was interesting to see that almost every poet had their own unique way and style of creating a poem. The ideas used were dreams, music, a purpose, and of course... love. Allan Ginsberg was a real trip... Listening to him spat off poetry to the beats of jazz was just mind blowing for me. Sadly, I know I am not able to approach poetry but just to hear him talk was inspiring. I enjoyed Levine because the dude just seemed like a total character. Very funny... very Woody Allen-esque in the way he talked. And the fact he came up with a poem or story... I consider it a story, from a dream of his that dealt with issues of race and economy, I also found truly impressive.

The women poets... Oh man what to say... maybe I will just leave it at that. They seem to function on a different level when it comes to poetry and they are very, very... angry. The poet, I can't recall his name, but he talked about his poems having a purpose. This is very important to me on so many levels. I think that poetry should serve as having a purpose. That in the story we tell, one can connect with an emotion, a lesson, or just gain a new understanding about life. That is a very powerful message, considering poems are not self help books or novels preaching about the meaning of true love (I'm talking to you Stephenie Meyer!). That in a sonnet or however-many-line-poem: the essence of love, death, comedy, and tragedy can all be captured. That is of course... if you know what the hell you are doing (I know I don't). I am looking forward to part 2 of the film today in class and I am sorry that I forgot to post this by Friday. No excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment