Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Final Thoughts

1. Basically all summed up into a few sentences, write your poems for the music they make. Don't base it all on truth it becomes almost impossible. If you let your imagination run with a key word you can do wonders to make a poem that flows musically. Certain sounds can make or break a poem. I think this really stood out to me the most because you don't realize how much a poem depends on the sound of the words to make something stand out to you as a reader or a certain words that just pops out in a line. Its all about the music.

2. To be honest i think its different every time i try to write a poem. It depends on my mood, my thoughts, if i have a prompt to follow of if its my own ideas coming down on paper. With the exercises given to me for class i have to think up and idea and then toy around with words. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what i want to write about or how i want it to flow. Other times when i get a really good idea words just come to me, i write down all the words i want to use and all the ideas and try my hardest to make it work with my poem. Now for the poems that don't follow a prompt, it comes pretty natrual because there just my thoughts and feelings being spilled out on paper and i just seem to be able to write and write. If i come to a line that i dont like or a word that doesn't quite fit i think of something that would fit better. Then it all comes together.

4 comments:

  1. I think that message in Hugo was really important also, it's definitely the main idea I'll take away from the book, too. You're lucky you can write so easily when you don't have a prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the things that you are going to take from Hugo. And I wrote something pretty similar about my process. I tend to write down most of the words I want to use too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it harder to write a poem with out a prompt than with one because I have too many ideas in my head that I want to write about. I like sometimes having limits because it helps organize my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you basically free style your poetry. Poems that are written this way just seem more honest to me. I look forward to reading your work in the workshop.

    ReplyDelete