Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lessons from Hugo

Overall I thought Richard Hugo's book gave me a different perspective on how I can approach writing. A few things that I took particular notice to was the idea of coming up with your own assumptions to a subject matter. Whether those assumptions were accurate was essentially arbitrary, it just mattered that you formed them. I also enjoyed chapter 7 in its entirety. He gave interesting insight into other famous writers and how we can learn from them. The book was an enjoyable read that made me think about writing in a slightly different way than I did before I picked up this book.

1 comment:

  1. I also like the way Hugo makes it feel that whatever you take from or put into a poem is a success as long as you've contemplated it. and i agree that is was an enjoyable read for how helpful it was.

    ReplyDelete