Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Process of Poetry

When I write a poem it various in creation but I tend to maintain certain habits in the overall process. First, I try to come up with a general subject to lead my poem in some direction--I try not to make it too specific to leave room for creative exploration. I write down ideas that I associate with this subject and than gradually narrow down my topic from there. Once I have a topic I just do a lot of thinking about that topic. I seperate myself from fully concentrating on it, and go about my daily activities still keeping it in the back of my mind. I also carry a notebook around with me so when I do have a random thought I can write it down. After a day or two I will sit down with my notebook of thoughts and try to organize them in a poetic way. I try to re-write the lines and see if I can alter the words and bring formality to them. I am not the type of person who can just sit down and write a poem in one draft, that is just not my style.

3 comments:

  1. I like the notebook idea. I can never seem to seperate myself from the computer when it comes to writing. I blame spell check for this. Get your self some Carlo Rossi dude. It might help that whole creative exploration thing. Just kidding... sorta. It seems like way you go about writing poetry is very lyrical? and musical. Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well with not being able to write a poem in one draft. That's why I'm excited to get feedback in class to fix some of these poems! I really like how you carry a journal to write down random thoughts, that's pretty cool and probably very helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the notebook thing as well! I find that it really helps and it is great, because I forget everything.

    ReplyDelete